Friday, April 20, 2018

Ask Linda #1744-Relief from cart path for a backwards shot

Hi Linda,
I have a rules question. I hit my ball in the rough and it lands near a tree (next to a cart path), making my next shot to the green impossible. The only shot available to me is to play backwards (in the direction of the tee box) towards the fairway. On taking my stance for a backwards shot, I am standing on the cart path. Am I allowed to...
1. Take a free drop, as I am on the cart path, even though I am playing back to the fairway.
2. Once I have taken relief (if it is allowed), I have a swing in the direction of the pin. Can I play towards the hole?
Thanks
Lou from Roxby Downs in South Australia

Dear Lou,

The answer to both of your questions is “yes.” You are entitled to a free drop from the cart path under the Exception to Rule 24-2b, because a backwards stroke in this situation is not an unnecessarily abnormal direction of play [Decision 24-2b/9.5]. After you drop the ball you may play in any direction you wish.

Linda
Copyright © 2018 Linda Miller. All rights reserved.